This recipe was created to meet the needs of an adorable little boy that is transitioning off a grain-free diet and is in need of a soaked, gluten-free, lower-histamine and lower-oxalate grain-based recipe. I also made it egg-free with the needs of my egg-sensitive clients in mind. I avoided flax as the egg replacement and opted to use apple instead, for those with sensitive digestion. The reason this recipe is somewhat innovative, like my Soaked Zucchini Millet Pancakes, is because the whole grain is soaked as opposed to ground flour, so that the acid soaking medium can be rinsed off before blending up the grain. This is really helpful for those that are sensitive to histamines and acid.
1. Cover millet with warm water + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and leave for 12-24 hours in a warm place.
2. Rinse and strain millet. Make sure you drain it well, preventing thin batter from sticking to the baking cups.
3. Throw soaked millet in your Vitamix along with the 1/2 cup water, applesauce, ghee/butter, baking soda and salt.
4. Blend thoroughly.
5. Add shredded zucchini and carrot (or any other fruit or vegetable of your choice) and stir.
6. Fill baking cups to 3/4 full and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden & inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7. Enjoy! We like them with butter and jelly on top. Honey would be nice too. 🙂
This recipe was featured at Adorned From Above.